• Clement Attlee, the British Prime Minister made an announcement on February 20, 1947 declaring the British intention of leaving the Indian subcontinent.
• A deadline of June 30, 1948 was fixed for transfer of power even if the Indian politicians had not agreed by that time on the constitution.
• The British would relinquish power either to some form of central government or in some areas to the existing provincial governments if the constituent assembly was not fully representative, i.e., if the Muslim majority provinces did not join.
• British powers and obligations vis-a-vis the princely states would lapse with transfer of power, but these would not be transferred to any successor government in British India.
• Mountbatten would replace Wavell as the viceroy.