01. International Labor Day is observed every year on 1 May. In which year a body of socialist groups and trade unions in the US designated May 1 as a day for workers?
- International Labor Day or May Day is observed on 1 May every year.
- This day, dedicated to workers and laborers around the world, is also known as International Workers’ Day.
- In 1889, a body of socialist groups and trade unions in the US designated May 1 as a day for workers.
It was in memory of the Haymarket riots in Chicago in 1886.
02. Which day is celebrated as ‘Maharashtra Day’ and ‘Gujarat Day’ every year?
(A) 1 April
(B) 1 May
(C) 1 June
(D) 1 July
- May 1 is celebrated every year as ‘Maharashtra Day’ and ‘Gujarat Day’.
- On this day, 57 years ago, the existing state of Maharashtra was formed.
- In 1960, the Bombay Reorganization Act was passed by the Parliament of India to divide the multilingual state of Bombay into Gujarat and Maharashtra.
- The law came into force on 1 May 1960.
03. The Punjab government has finally paved the way to increase the amount under the Ashirvad scheme from Rs 21,000 to how many rupees?
- The Punjab government has finally paved the way for increasing the amount from Rs 21,000 to Rs 51,000 under the Ashirvad scheme.
- Payments up to December 2020 have already been made under the plan.
- This is the second increase in the plan amount by the present government, which had earlier renamed the Shagun scheme as Ashirwad scheme and increased the assistance from Rs 15,000 to Rs 21,000.
- Chief Minister – Captain Amarinder Singh.
- Governor – VP Singh Badnore.
- Lok Sabha seats – 13.
- Rajya Sabha seats – 7.
- Number of districts – 22.
04. To promote the use of electric vehicles, India plans to give incentives of how many billion dollars to companies setting up advanced battery manufacturing facilities?
- India plans to give $ 4.6 billion in incentives to companies setting up advanced battery manufacturing facilities as it seeks to promote the use of electric vehicles and cut oil dependence.
- A proposal prepared by the NITI Aayog informed that, if electric vehicles are widely adopted, India could increase its oil import bill to over $ 40 billion by 2030.
05. About how many hectares of area in the Andaman and Nicobar area has been certified by the Union Ministry of Agriculture?
- The Union Agriculture Ministry has certified organic in an area of about 14,491 hectares in Andaman and Nicobar.
- This is done under the Large Area Certification (LAC) scheme of the PGS-India (Participatory Guarantee System) certification program.
Currently more than 3 million hectares in India are registered under biological certification.
06. The world’s longest pedestrian suspension bridge has been commissioned in Portugal. What is its length?
(A) 210 m
(B) 312 m
(C) 414 m
(D) 516 m
- The world’s longest pedestrian suspension bridge has been commissioned in Portugal.
It is called 516 Arakka, because it is 516 meters long and is in the city of Arakka and connects Aguirus waterfall and the Pava Valley.
- It is a Tibetan-style swinging bridge, supported by steel cables and two huge V-shaped towers.
- It has taken the title of longest bridge from Charles Kuonen Suspension Bridge in Switzerland.
07. The Reserve Bank of India (RBI) has joined the Central Bank and Supervisors Network for Greening the Financial System (NGFS) as a member. In which year was the NGFS launched?
- The Reserve Bank of India (RBI) has joined the Central Bank and Supervisors Network for Greening the Financial System (NGFS) as a member.
- The central bank joined the NGFS on 23 April 2021.
- Launched at the Paris One Planet Summit on December 12, 2017, NGFS is a group of central banks and observers ready to share best practices and contribute to the development of the environment.
08. How many tap water connections is planned by Andhra Pradesh under the Jal Jeevan Mission in the current financial year (2021-22)?
(A) 12 lakh 23 thousand
(B) 22 lakh 35 thousand
(C) 32 lakh 47 thousand
(D) 42 lakh 59 thousand
- Andhra Pradesh has planned to provide 32 lakh 47 thousand tap water connections in the current financial year (2021-22) under the Jal Jeevan Mission.
- It presented its Water Life Mission Annual Action Plan through a video conference on 30 April 2021.
- There are 95 lakh 66 thousand rural families in the state, out of which about 45 lakh already have tap water connection supply.
- Chief Minister – YS Jaganmohan Reddy.
- Governor – Biswabhushan Harichandan.
- Number of districts – 13.
- Lok Sabha seats – 25.
- Rajya Sabha seats – 11.
09. In April 2021, to what month has the Center waived import duty on critical diagnostic kits and reagents used in Kovid related diagnostics?
- The Center has abolished import duties on critical diagnostics kits and COVID-related diagnostics for the next 6 months.
- Discount is given till 31 October 2021.
- Nominated combinations under this exemption are the inflammatory diagnostic (marker) kit, D-dimer, CRP (C-reactive protein) LDH (lactate D-hydrogenase), ferritin, pro calcitin, and blood gas reagent.
10. In April 2021, who granted emergency financial rights to the three defense services?
(A) Rajnath Singh
(B) Amit Shah
(C) Narendra Modi
(D) Piyush Goyal
- Defense Minister Rajnath Singh granted emergency financial powers for all three services on 29 April 2021.
- These powers will help formation commanders to establish and operate quarantine facilities, hospitals, and to purchase, repair equipment items, materials, and stores.
- These powers are initially developed for a period of three months from 1 May to 31 July 2021.
11. Kamala Harris is set to become the first female American Vice President to be displayed at the Madame Tussauds Wax Museum in which city?
(A) Los Angeles
(B) New York
- Kamala Harris is set to become the first female American Vice President to be exhibited at the Madame Tussauds Wax Museum in New York City.
- The statue is designed by Burke and Madame Tussauds team of sculptors in London with the help of Clay.
- Harris is being elevated as a sculptor due to his historical ascendancy.
- Madame Tussauds is also working on the statue of US President Joe Biden.
12. KV Anand breathed his last in April 2021 after suffering a heart attack. They belonged to which of the following fields?
(B) Film Direction
- Renowned Tamil director-cinematographer K.V. Anand breathed his last on 30 April 2021 after suffering a heart attack.
- Anand was a founding member of the Indian Society of Cinematographers (ISC).
- He directed Tamil films like Ayan, Ko, Kannanden, Matraran, Kappan, Anegan and Kavan.
- He also served as a cinematographer in several films including Josh, Nayak and Rajinikanth-starrer Shivaji.
13. Shiawe Mantfombi Dalamini Zulu has passed away. She was from which of the following countries?
(A) South Africa
(B) New Zealand
(D) United Arab Emirates
- Zulu Regent Queen Shiaway Muntfombi Delmini Zulu of South Africa has passed away.
She became the interim leader of the country’s largest ethnic group after the death of her husband, King Goodwill Zelithini.
- She was appointed to the role on 24 March 2021.
King Zavethilini ruled the country for nearly 50 years, making him the longest reigning emperor of Africa.
- Capital – Pretoria (administrative capital), Cape Town (legislative capital), Bloemfontein (judicial capital).
- Currency – South African Rand.
- President – Cyril Ramaphosa.
14. In April 2021, which of the following became the second country to officially record 400,000 COVID-19 deaths?
- On 29 April 2021, Brazil became the second country to officially record 400,000 COVID-19 deaths.
- According to the country’s Ministry of Health, the seven-day average Kovid-19 death is above 3,100.
- It has been reported that less than 6% of Brazilians have been fully COVID-19.
15. US aerospace chief Boeing, in April 2021, announced an emergency aid package to India of how many million dollars to support the country’s response to the current upsurge in COVID-19 cases?
- On 30 April 2021, US aerospace major Boeing announced a US $ 10 million emergency aid package for India to support the country’s response to the current surge in COVID-19 cases.
- This assistance will be sent to relief organizations, including medical supplies and emergency healthcare for communities and families battling the virus.
- Capital – Washington, D.C.
- Currency – US Dollar.
- Chairman- Joe Biden.
16. Which of the following ships / ships arrived at the port of Manama, Bahrain to bring 40MT of liquid oxygen to Mumbai?
(A) INS Kolkata
(B) INS Talwar
(C) INS Viraat
(D) Both 1 and 2
- The Indian Navy has launched Operation Samundra Setu-II to augment the ongoing national mission to meet oxygen requirements.
- Indian Navy warships engaged in the mission will undertake shipments of cryogenic containers filled with liquid oxygen and related medical equipment.
- Two ships INS Kolkata and INS Talwar arrived at the port of Manama, Bahrain to bring 40MT liquid oxygen to Mumbai.
17. In which country, due to the impact of the epidemic coupled with political turmoil, about half of the country’s population of 50 million can live in poverty by the beginning of 2022?
- The impact of the epidemic coupled with political upheaval in Myanmar may account for
- nearly half of the country’s population of 50 million living in poverty by early 2022.
- According to a report by the United Nations Development Program (UNDP), close to 48.2
- percent of the population will remain in poverty.
The World Bank has projected a 10% contraction in the Myanmar economy in 2021.
Capital – Napeedaw.
Currency – Burmese kayat.
President – Win Mint.
National Games – Chinalones.
18. Arun Kumar Singh died in April 2021 due to COVID. He was from which of the following states?
- The Bihar government has decided to give special family pension to those government officials who died due to COVID infection in the state.
- Meanwhile, Bihar Chief Secretary Arun Kumar Singh died recently due to COVID.
- He was a 1985-batch IAS officer of Bihar cadre and took over as the Chief Secretary on 27 February 2012.
- Lok Sabha seats – 40.
- Rajya Sabha seats – 16.
- State animal – Gaur.
- State Bird – House Sparrow.
19. In April 2021, who has informed that the government has set a road construction target of Rs 15 lakh crore in the next two years?
(A) Narendra Modi
(B) Nitin Gadkari
(C) Nirmala Sitharaman
(D) Smriti Irani
- Road Transport and Highways Minister Nitin Gadkari has informed that the government has set a road construction target of Rs 15 lakh crore in the next two years.
- The government is giving utmost priority to the development of infrastructure.
He called the Indo-U.S. Announced this on 30 April 2021 while addressing the Partnership Vision Summit.
20. As a special distribution, the Center has released more than how many crores for the State Disaster Response Fund (SDRF) to all the states?
- As a special distribution, the Center has released more than Rs 8873 crore for the State Disaster Response Fund (SDRF) to all states.
- States can use up to 50 percent of the released amount for COVID-19 prevention measures.
- Measures include meeting the costs of oxygen production and storage plants in hospitals, ventilators, strengthening ambulance services, and more.
21. On what day did the nation celebrate the 400th Prakash Parv of the ninth Sikh Guru, Sri Guru Tegh Bahadur Ji?
(A) 28th April
(B) 29 April
(C) 30 April
(D) 1 May
- The nation celebrated the 400th Prakashotsav of the ninth Sikh Guru, Sri Guru Tegh Bahadur Ji on 1 May 2021.
- Born in 1621 in Amritsar, Punjab, Sri Guru Tegh Bahadur Ji was the youngest son of Guru Hargobind Sahib, the sixth Guru of the Sikhs.
- Considered a majestic and fearless warrior, he was a spiritual scholar and poet whose 115 hymns are included in Sri Guru Granth Sahib Ji.
22. Hari Narayan Chaudhary died in April 2021 due to COVID complications. He was related to which of the following fields?
- Bihar BJP MLC Hari Narayan Chaudhary died in April 2021 due to COVID complications.
Harinarayan Chaudhary was twice elected a member of the Legislative Council from the civic body quota.
- He won the election for the first time in 2003 and the second time in 2015.
He was elected ward councilor three times in Samastipur Municipal Council election, while once he got the post of Deputy Chairman.
23. In April 2021, which of the following, has now started exporting doses of COVID-19 vaccines manufactured at its US facilities?
(B) Cadila Healthcare
- Pfizer has now started exporting doses of COVID-19 vaccines manufactured at its US facilities.
- Previously it was exporting only vaccine doses manufactured at a Belgian production plant.
- On 31 March 2021, this development has taken place since the end of the ban imposed by the former US President.
- Pfizer has become the largest supplier of COVID-19 vaccines after shipping more than 10 million doses in Mexico.
24. Electric car sales increased by what percent in the first quarter of 2021?
- Electric car sales grew 140% in the first quarter of 2021, breaking the record for 41 percent growth on 2020 EV registrations despite the economies being in a bad state due to the epidemic.
- In 2020, consumer spending on EVs touched $ 120 billion while car registrations rose 41 percent.
- The global average battery electric vehicle (BEV) cost around $ 40,000 in 2020.
25. How many million tonnes of food grain production target for 2021-22?
- The target of food production for 2021-22 is 307 million tonnes.
- Agriculture Minister Narendra Singh Tomar made this announcement while addressing the National Conference on Agriculture for the Kharif Campaign-2021.
- According to the Economic Survey 2020-21, the share of agriculture in GDP increased from 17.8 percent in 2019-20 to 19.9 percent in 2020-21.
26. In April 2021, which of the following will expand its Mars helicopter mission?
- NASA will expand its Mars helicopter mission.
- The first three flights of the drone, called Ingenuity, worked so well, that it would now move from a demonstration to an operational stage.
- This means that the helicopter will now support NASA’s Persistence Rover.
- The new phase will last for the next 30 Martian days.
- Ingenuity’s flight made history as the first powered flight on another planet.
27. Mohammed Shahabuddin passed away in May 2021 due to COVID-19. He belonged to which of the following party?
- Former Rashtriya Janata Dal (RJD) MP Mohammad Shahabuddin died in May 2021 due to COVID-19.
- He was diagnosed with COVID on April 20, 2021.
- He was serving life imprisonment in the 2004 double murder in Tihar Jail.
- Shahabuddin was sentenced to 10 years imprisonment by a Bihar court for his involvement in the Arms Act case.
28. In view of the increase in coronavirus cases, by which date Bihar government has canceled the leave of all health officials?
(A) 15 May
(B) 31 May
(C) 15 June
(D) 30 June
- In view of the increase in coronavirus cases, the Bihar government has canceled the leave of all health officials till May 31, 2021.
- Additionally, Bihar Governor Fagu Chauhan ordered summer leave of all universities by May 31, 2021.
- Bihar registered 15,853 new cases of COVID-19 on 30 April 2021.
- This is the highest number of cases recorded on a single day.
- Lok Sabha seats – 40.
- Rajya Sabha seats – 16.
- State animal – Gaur.
- State Bird – House Sparrow.
- National Park – Valmiki National Park.
29. Serum Institute will be able to increase its monthly production to how many million doses by July 2021?
- The Serum Institute of India, which manufactures the AstraZeneca COVID-19 vaccine, plans to begin vaccine production in other countries, failing to meet supply commitments.
- The Serum Institute will be able to increase its monthly production to 100 million doses by July 2021.
- It plans to increase production capacity to 3 billion in a year.